Top Ten U.S. Car Rental Companies Going Green with Hybrid CarsBy Cuong Huynh • Mar 31st, 2009 • Category: Clean Car Talk Posts
Updated 04-06-09. Just a few years ago, hybrid cars were difficult if not impossible to find at rental car agencies. While renting a hybrid car is still a relatively new concept, it is now becoming more widespread. National agencies like Enterprise and Hertz already have thousands of hybrids in their fleets and will be adding more. As both large and small car rental companies add hybrid cars to their fleets and making them available to the traveling public, it won’t be long before renting a hybrid becomes the norm.
Here’s a list of the top ten rental companies in the U.S. providing hybrid rental cars. In no particular order:
- Eqocar.com: This online hybrid rental company based in Burbank, California prides itself on being completely economically friendly and working to better the environment. Eqocar.Com makes a range of cars available, from the economic Honda Civics and Toyota Priuses, to full size cars and SUVs, to luxury cars like the diesel Mercedes-Benz E350 and hybrid Lexuses.
- SimplyHybrid.com: Also based in California, SimplyHybrid.com is another company completely dedicated to hybrid rentals. Unlike major companies like Enterprise, this company has fleets of hybrid rentals available all the time.
- Hertz Car Rental Corp.: Hertz is a commonly known car rental agency that has over 4,000 hybrid rentals in their fleets. Hertz offers guaranteed availability in 50 of the top rated airports throughout the United States.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise Rent-A-Car has been a favorite car rental company for years and now they are leading with the largest fleet of hybrid car rentals. While they do not guarantee availability, Enterprise does their best to accommodate hybrid rental requests and are extremely helpful when you book in advanced. Use the link above to go directly to their hybrid cars page.
- Avis Budget: With over 2,500 hybrid rentals throughout their fleets, Avis Budget offers hybrid rentals in most major cities throughout the United States and offer guaranteed reservations.
- FindExotic.com: While FindExotic.com is not a rental company itself, we found FindExotic.com is great for finding hybrid rentals in a number of areas and is such a good resource, it deserves a spot on the list. Until hybrid cars becomes mainstream, I guess they are still considered exotic cars by many people.
- National Car Rental: Owned by Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National car rental is a great resource for hybrid rental cars nationwide.
- Alamo Rental Cars: Alamo rental cars is also owned by Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and is offering hybrid rentals in places where Enterprise isn’t available.
- Fox Rent-A-Car: Fox Rent-A-Car is a well known company offering hybrid rentals in many major cities, offering great customer service, Fox has become a favorite.
- Toyota Rent A Car: Yes you read that right. Toyota dealers are making their cars available for rent, including many of the well-known Toyota hybrid models. Follow the link above, then enter your zip code to search for the nearest participating Toyota dealers.
Hybrid rentals are a great way to go green and help the earth while you travel, either for business or pleasure. They are also a fabulous way to “test drive” new hybrid car models before you decide to buy one.
For those already driving hybrids as your main transportation at home, renting a hybrid during your travel makes a lot of sense. For those who haven’t driven a hybrid and are curious, hybrid rental cars are definitely the way to try them out.
Whichever rental car company you go with, just go green!
Updated 04-06-09. A recent article by Paulo Prada of the The Wall Street Journal indicated that Enterprise, Avis, Hertz and Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group have sought for a piece of the Federal bailout money. Read the Wall Street Journal titled “Rental-Car Firms Seek a Bailout,” and also jaxon’s post below. Thanks jaxon.
Cuong Huynh is a marketing communications consultant working in the San Diego area. Cuong is dedicated to helping individuals and companies maximize their presence on the Internet and efficiently take products and services to market through SEO and network marketing. Cuong also maintains a blog on Marketing at marketingautopsyblog.com. You can also find Cuong Huynh's profile on LinkedIn. For fun he maintains a blog on Vietnamese pho, soccer and do storyboards for movie and film projects. Follow Cuong on Twitter @CuongHuynh, @LovingPho, @CleanCarTalk, @BlockbusterFilm, @SoccerUSA.
Email this author | All posts by Cuong Huynh